Sunday, July 29, 2007

Welcome to Tranquility #8 - WildStorm


This particular issue is actually a series of shorts that fill us in on a couple of characters. Gail Simone is again at the helm. I really like what she's doing with this book, and these characters. She really seems to have an excellent handle on the whole thing. But this issue we have a whole montage of artists. Neil Googe, our regular artist, does the beginning and ending scenes. But each chapter is done by a different one. And they're all great. The first is done by Jason Pearson. I gotta say . . . I don't think this guy gets enough credit, or enough work. I love his style. I have ever since Body Bags. Speaking of which, if you don't have it, you should go out and look for it. It was a Dark Horse mini. This chapter is about the Lindo sisters, Tommy and Seresa. Of course Tommy is the Sheriff now. But this story was about 10 years ago when she was just an angree little girl, because her father had just died. The next chapter is done by ChrisCross. Another artist with a fantastic style. I gotta say though, until I saw what he did in this book, I didn't realize how much his and Dustin Nguyen's artwork resembled one another. Not all of it . . . but certain scenes. This one takes place about 50 years ago and is about Ezekial. He was on the road to becoming the next Elvis. Until his manager talked him in to signing a deal with the devil. Literally. Which is why he's still alive now. Even though his body is falling apart on him. Finally the last chapter is by Georges Jeanty. Probably best known for his work on Bishop for Marvel. Although now that I think of it, I think he was the artist on Majestic also, for WildStorm. Anyways, this one is about Emoticon. It also is about 10 years old. It explains how he got his mask. And the accident that led to it. Interesting stuff. Anyways, like I said, Gail really seems to be bringing us in to the lives of these characters. And maybe it's just me, but I still think it feels an awful lot like Eureka, the SciFi channel series. I might be stretching a bit there. But . . to me . . it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment