Sunday, July 29, 2007

Jonah Hex #21 - DC


I liked this one. But, mainly because I like the character, and I like the western themes. I'm not a big fan of Jordi Bernet's . . . so . . . I wasn't overly thrilled with the art. Sure he's been doing it a long time. And yes he's a master of his craft. I have nothing but respect for the guy. I'm just not a big . . . fan . . . of this type of art. I don't really like it. Also . . . there didn't really seem to be an cohesiveness with this story. We start out with this gang that's robbing banks. They kill a bunch of Pinkerton's in the process. So they try a different means. They hire a bounty hunter. Actually . . . the best, Jonah. So he chases them down for a little while. They end up in what I can guess is some kind of sacred Indian ground. Jonah goes after them, but there's an Indian there who scares them and takes care of them first. Jonah waits and lets the Indian finish, and then I assume gathers up enough pieces of the gang to take back for the bounty. Well on the way he stops in this other town where earlier in the book a stagecoach of women had stopped. Apparently the men in this town hadn't seen women in a long time so they got a little . . . rambunctious. Jonah walks in to the Saloon, apparently a few hours after the debauchery. The women are strewn about dead. And all the men are passed out from libations or overworked libido's. Either way, it's apparent to Jonah what has happened. So . . . he lights the Saloon on fire, and then sits outside to shoot the men as they try to escape the carnage. And that's how the book ends. I appreciate that they're trying to keep the stories accurate to the era. Both in terms of brutality and social wickedness. But . . . I don't really understand what the point of the story was. It was some mindless violence and carnage, but . . . . that's really all it was. I guess . . . I just didn't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment