Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Jack of Fables #12 - Vertigo


This is another book that I like. But it's hard for me to explain what's going on. I mean, I could go through the story step by step. But . . . it's kind of . . . hap-hazard. What I mean is, sometimes this book . . . the stories . . . aren't very linear. Basically, we're following Jack around . . . from one adventure to the next. With the only consistency between them being . . . he usually gets laid . . . . he's constantly being followed by the Librarian and Revise. But that's ever since he broke out of Fabletown. Or whatever it's called. Now he has a sidekick. Gary. Or maybe it's Kevin. He hasn't decided what he wants to be called. In our story this month, we get a little glimpse in to Paul Bunyan's life. And we see Revise going in to the memory hole, to try to erase the memories of anyone who saw any of the Fables when they broke loose. Again . . . Jack's fault. And the story ends with some sorcerer skewering Jack with the sword Excalibur. He says, " . . . the sword must be kept safe, until the one true king comes to claim it." What that has to do with Jack . . . I have no clue. And my description of the book . . . kinda' bouncing around . . . little bits and pieces . . . not really enough to get a grasp of what's going on . . . . that's really how the book reads. If I didn't know better, I'd have to say that someone was seriously smoked when they wrote this. You really have no idea what's going to happen next, because . . . . well the story could go in any direction. Really! But on a really good note . . . Brian Bolland is supposed to be the regular cover artist from now on. That's a plus. Like I said, I like it. But it's kinda' hard to keep up with sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment