Sunday, July 22, 2007

the Spirit #7 - DC


What is going on with this book? When I first started buying this title, I admitted that I was only doing so because I thought I should. I mean this is a character that has been a staple in comes for about 70 years. The Spirit and Will Eisner are icons in the industry. So when it was reintroduced as a monthly, I thought, out of homage, I should at least give it a try. And I also admitted that the style of the book, both story and art, really weren't my cup of tea. I could read it, and kind of enjoy it. But, I really didn't like it all that much. Well, this issue, to me, is the worst yet. Without putting out an additional issue, this one is set up to be something different. It has 3 short stories, instead of the one book length one. The problem I had was that none of them really seemed to be in character with the character. Over the course of the book, the Spirit seemed like 3 completely different people. I know each had their own writer and artist. But no matter who writes the Hulk, the Hulk is the Hulk. No matter who writes Superman, Superman is Superman. This one seemed like they each had the name of the character, but then were given permission to take him in whatever direction they wanted. Maybe I'm reading to much in to it, but to me it seemed kind of hap-hazard. And the third story, by Kyle Baker, to me was a complete mess. It was confusing, spotty and very hard to follow. I want to like this book. I want to like this character. But so far, this title, does not seem to be nudging me in that direction. So my advice is, if you're a Spirit fan . . . more power to you. But if not? Let this one go. I don't feel it's worth the $3.

No comments:

Post a Comment