Sunday, July 22, 2007

Checkmate #15 - DC


Wow! What a storyline. This Check/Out crossover is pretty intense. Afterwards I believe there will be some changes to the CheckMate book, but I really think the biggest change is going to be to the Outsiders title. Last issue Dr. Chang, Humpty Dumpty, captured Nightwing, the Black Queen and Boomer. He's decided he's wants to take them apart and see what makes them tick. When I was a kid, we used to have one of those old rotary phones sitting around the house, that we didn't use. Every chance I got, I used to take that thing apart, piece by piece, lay out all the parts, and then put it back together again. I just did it out of curiosity, and because I thought it was neat. Well . . . that's the sense I'm getting from this Dr. Chang. He just wants to take them apart and put them back together again. Why? Because he has the opportunity to. He wants to see what gives Boomer his speed powers, and how the OMAC nanobots work in the Black Queen. Meanwhile Dick, who has no powers, is stuck in a cell, not far away, having to listen to their protesting and screams. CheckMate has sent their team back on to the island to procure them, but they're no longer there. And in the meantime, Mr. Terrific has launched his own mission, with some help, unknown to CheckMate, from the Batman. Between the 2 of them, they think they've figured out where they're at, and are on their way to get them back. A pretty intense story by Rucka and Winick. They've really pulled out all the stops on this one. And Joe Bennett's art really fits this story well. This is a little peeve of mine, but Jack Jadson is Joe's inker, and I think he's a bit heavy on the lines. I've always said that some inkers don't work with some pencillers. This one is close. But like I said, I think his lines are a bit heavy. But that's just me. Other than that, it's a fantastic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment