Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ultimate Fantastic Four #43 - Marvel


Ok. This is part 2, of 5, of the Silver Surfer story-line. First let me say that I think Mike Carey has done a fantastic job with this book. His ideas and concepts really blow me away. I like the twist that he's put on regular Marvel mythology, to give it an updated, or different, perspective. Some of it you don't even realize until after you've read it and are thinking about it. Like in this story, the shape and mass of the Surfer. I mean he's a cosmic entity. And it's a pretty big universe out there. So why, with billions of reference points, would he necessarily have to look and be the same size as us. Which is how Mike approaches it. "He's actually shrinking. He was a couple of light-years across when I first saw him. Now he masses about the same as a small planet." Then, on top of this clever story, we have Pasqual Ferry doing the artwork. And it is magnificent. He's been on this book before. And he did a pretty bang-up job for those story-lines. But on this one, it looks like he's kicked it up another notch. My only question is, we already had a Gah Lak Tus storyline in the Ultimate Universe. And the Surfer was nowhere to be found in that story-line. But now he's here? And is he bring Gah Lak Tus back with him? And if so, why would he want to come back after being turned away the first time? I'm sure there's more accommodating food sources out there, without having to return someplace that he was swatted away. Ok, maybe I had 3 questions. But I think they're valid points. So I'm interested to see how Mike's going to explain this arc, as far as the continuity with the previous one.

No comments:

Post a Comment