Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wonder Woman #10 - DC



I don't know if Jodi Picoult is turning out to be a really amazing writer . . . or if it's just the storyline she came in on. But this is a fantastic book. And Terry Dodson isn't completely gone. I mean, he does grace us with a very nice cover here. Paco Diaz does the interior art, and he also really seems to be growing in to this book. Following up Terry, I wasn't overly thrilled with his style. But now that I've seen some more of it, I like it. And it seems to lend well to the story and feel of this book. Diana has decided to go face to face with her mother this issue. She doesn't understand what's prompted this action. No one does really. But she's attempting to keep the lines of communication open. The part about Jodi's writing that really impressed me was in the beginning of the book when Diana / Wonder Woman is asking herself the question "Who am I?". She actually comes across a couple brilliant revelations. "I've always done what's right, because it's what my mother taught me. Does that make me a hero . . . or a robot?" And the one I really like is when she's in the middle of the fight, she sees this billboard across the street. It's for a cola, and the slogan is "LIVE LIFE!". She thinks, " . . . Live Life? What a stupid slogan. I mean, doesn't everyone do that, anyway? Then it hits me . . . maybe what I've been doing all along isn't living life . . . maybe I've just been avoiding death. And maybe there's a difference." Lots of other stuff happens. But to me . . . that was the important part of the story. At the end, Diana literally has her mother's life in her hands. She knows that if she kills her, she will be the Queen, and she can end the war. But then she turns her knife over to her mother and puts it to her own throat. "Not long ago you asked me if I would die for these humans you once sent me to protect . . . and I tell you now that I would. But this is no longer what you should be asking. The question isn't what I'd be willing to lose . . . the question is, mother . . . would you kill me to win?" Wow!! Powerful stuff. And the good part is, with the Amazons Attack mini coming out right now, it's almost as if we have 2 Wonder Woman books coming out each month, for the next few. So we'll be visiting Diana again soon, with the next installment of that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment