Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Streets of Glory #1 - Avatar


This is truly a wicked book. I wasn't sure about Mike Wolfer's pencils, when I saw the preview, but I really think he's going to be a superstar. He's not there yet. But . . . . he's damn close. There are some panels in this book that are brilliant. But the consistency isn't there yet. But I really think as we watch this series progress, he's going to get a lot more attention. And of course you all know how brilliant Garth Ennis is. So the combination, on this series, should be pretty incredible. The reason I call this book wicked, is because the blood scenes in it are incredibly graphic. The scene where the guys jaw gets shot off his head and lands in our storytellers lap, Pete, actually gave me the willies. Eeuugh! That's not really my cup of tea. But, I understand it's necessity in order to express the true graphic nature of the "wild-wild west". It wasn't like Gunsmoke or Maverick. It was gruesome, and ruthless, and pretty much lawless. Which is what Garth wants to express in this series. Well . . . he's doing a damn good job of it. It's really to early for me to comment on the story to much. I don't really know where they're planning on going with it. But, from the looks of what I've seen so far, it looks like it's going to be a thrill-ride every step of the way. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment