Saturday, October 27, 2007

Batman Confidential - #10


First I gotta say that I really like this book. I think Michael Green is doing a good job with the story, and I'm glad to see Denys Cowan doing regular work again. I've been a big fan. Ever since way back when, when he did the Question. I do have a concern though. Not about the creative talent . . . but about an aspect of the story. Last issue Batman became frustrated with our protagonist here, because he wasn't sure what to do about him. He knew what he wanted to do . . kill him . . . but he couldn't bring himself to do it. So, he contacted one of the bad guys from around town, turned him over to them, telling them how he had hurt their business and revenues. He also told them to do whatever they felt was necessary. Now my question is, isn't that effectively the same as Batman offing him himself? And if he's willing to make that call, then doesn't that go against everything that the man stands for? It's hard to uncross a line, once you've done it. First of all I'm wondering, how is Batman ever going to justify this decision? Secondly, once he finds out what been done, and that essentially he's responsible for creating the Joker, then isn't he also going to feel responsible for the ensuing murder and mayhem that's going to happen after his conception? He already feels responsible for 2 murders, his mother and father, but now he's going to feel responsible for every murder that the Joker commits? Aren't we essentially rewriting the Batman mythos here? I mean . . . that's fine, if we're going to stick with it. But . . how can they? How can 1 story effect that much history and continuity? We're talking about something that happened in the early days of Batman's career. That would taint everything he's done from then to now. I think they've bitten off a little more than they can chew here. And I'm not really sure how they're going to be able to fix it. Unless all of the sudden they say it's a Joker from another world. I don't know. I really do like the story, but I think that they may have really messed up here. I guess it all depends on how they wrap this up. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment