Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Booster Gold #3 - DC


I like the concept that we're working with here. It's kind of along the lines of the Exiles theme . . . but that's OK. Here, we're dealing with temporal anomalies, and it's not really a "what if?" type theme, because were dealing with actual continuity within the DC Universe. My only concern is, please, don't get to complicated or aggressive with your story-lines. I'm sorry. I don't really mean complicated, because I definitely don't want a simple story. But, what I mean is, don't purposely dig yourself in to a hole, with a story, and then have to scramble to get yourself out, without disrupting the 60 plus years of history that DC has. I like time travel stories. Really I do. But, sometimes they get to the point where the writer has to do an awful lot of backpedaling to make sure things end up right at the end. Geoff Johns is such a great writer, that I'd hate to see him get caught in that trap. I like the Rip Hunter character. I'd like to see him expounded upon a little bit. He's been around for years, and we really don't know that much about him. I like that Booster is actually a very adept hero . . but he has to display to the world that he's a bit befuddled at all times. Talk about a secret identity. He has one . . to the extreme. And I would think, since the Challengers of the Unknown don't exist in the book of destiny, that they're also immune to obvious temporal traps. So they would be the perfect cast of characters to occasionally help the Rip / Gold, or Booster / Hunter team. Just an idea. Anyways, I liked the way Booster handles his meeting with Jonah Hex. And I liked the little insight in to what would've happened if Jonathon Kent hadn't lived. I'm not sure what the Infinite Crisis blurb was about . . . the page with Batman, Robin and Blue Beetle. But I'm sure we'll find out more as we go along. With this book they're also turning Supernova in to a viable character. And I don't think he's necessarily a "bad-guy". Yes he seems to be working against Rip / Gold, but I don't think we've quite gotten the measure of his character yet. The Flash connection could prove interesting . . because in the 70's and 80's he was a frequent time traveller. And I'm wondering when they're going to run in to the Legion . . . . another frequent flyer when it comes to the temporal pathways. So I'd have to say, overall, this book shows a great deal of promise. Like I said before, my only concern is that we're dealing with some pretty complicated themes here, and the success of the book, I feel, is going to be contingent upon the handling of those themes. But, if anybodies up to the task, it's Geoff Johns and Dan Jurgens.

No comments:

Post a Comment