Friday, October 19, 2007

Green Arrow - Year 1 #5 - DC


This is turning out to be a fantastic mini-series. I gotta say, when it first came out, I was a little skeptical. I mean, we all know this story. It's already been retold, 3 or 4 times. How could they possibly make it fresh and original. Well I'm here to tell you . . . they did! First of all . . . look at that cover. I would love to have that hanging above my computer right now. That is truly a great piece of art. Now, while the interior art isn't as finished as that, it is still incredible. Jock does a great job with these action books. And his frame flow is brilliant. His artwork isn't as flashy or detailed as some, but the simplicity and accuracy of his panels, more than make up for it. He's someone that could truly tell a story with his pictures, if there were no words or dialogue involved. But you have to give credit to Andy Diggle also. I mean he's the one that wrote the story. So actually Jock's panels are an extension of Andy's vision. And these 2 have worked together before. A few times. So I can tell that their collaboration is magical. I think they're one of the few creative teams that actually work together, on a story or book. They truly compliment each other. And I'm willing to bet that they both have a pretty equal amount of input on both sides of the story, creativity wise. And that collaboration is yeilding some amazing results. But we'll have to wait to see how they wrap things up next issue, which is the last, because on the final page of this one . . . he's electrocuted. How's he going to bounce back from that? This is a great book, with a great character. Well done, all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment