Friday, October 19, 2007

Ex-Machina #30 - WildStorm


I love this book. It's written brilliantly. And I really like the artwork. It's not overly flashy. But, it's perfect for this story. It would be hard for me to imagine anyone else drawing this book. And since it's inception, it's been created by Brian K Vaughan and Tony Harris. They seem to work very well together. Anyways, I like the way the story bounces around, as far as past and present. The only question I have is that the present time, as far as the book is concerned, is always around 2003. I assume that it's because that's when he was the mayor, but I could be wrong. If this is somebody looking back, as far as reflecting on the story, that's fine, but I don't think we've ever seen who it is, or seen them in the current time. It could be the Mayor, or Bradbury or even Kremlin. But we don't really know. It doesn't take away from the story, but sometimes I go back and look at the dates and wonder. Brian probably has this huge timeline spread across his office wall, with strings or lines for each character, going horizontally, and dates lined up vertically. I don't know any other way he could keep this all straight. Anyways in the current story, the Mayor, inadvertently is going to be involved in a plot to assassinate the pope. Somebody has gone to an awful lot of trouble to set up a meeting between them. And has also, I assume, hired these 2 geeks who configure a rodent to be a bomb. Or maybe he's just the delivery method. Whichever, the trip which the Mayor is about to take, with Bradbury, is about to be the precipice for the attack. I don't think the mayor's going to feel to good about this one. Anyways, brilliant book. I can't get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment