Sunday, August 26, 2007

Welcome to Tranquility #9 - WildStorm


I'm really liking Neil Googe's art. It gets better and better every issue. Plus, as I predicted a few issue ago, he's starting to add some extra stuff to some of the pages. On page 7, he's got like some mummified skulls and voodoo dolls in the margins on the bottom of the page. On the final page, Tommy goes to see Salabal, " . . . supposed to be the spirit of the jungle, the smartest and most powerful woman in the entire world. Witches all over the world come to study at her feet. Rumored to be three thousand years old. Said to have arrived at the crucifixion a week too late." Ok. But anyways, she drawn in the jungle, tropical type scene and she has these white Leopards around here. It's a really cool picture. This issue is a bit confusing, story wise, but I believe it's about the devil. I guess he's coming back to Tranquility because, as he says, "I'm taking back my property. This town. And all the squatters. I left something special here, a certain fountain. I want it back." And of course he goes to Zeke first, because he's got a special interest, and investment, in him. We're introduced to a new character this issue also. The Coyote Kid. He's like this old west, Clint Eastwood type cowboy character. Actually he's only in like 2 panels. So they do a backup story to introduce us to him. He's interesting. I'll wait to see what they do with him. Anyways, obviously this is just the first part of a new story arc, because we have all the set-up, but no delivery. Our Gen13 characters are still in town too. Roxy's trying to make it with some kid in the cemetery, and Zeke has to come to their rescue when they're almost attacked. I really like this book. I think Simone and Googe are just doing a fantastic job.

No comments:

Post a Comment