Thursday, August 30, 2007

Five of a Kind - Katana and SHAZAM! #1 - DC


The point of this issue . . . kind of escaped me. Ok, I get that Batman wants to get people on his team that . . . maybe won't step over the line . . . but they'll walk right up to it, kick it with their shoes, and appear to have every intention of following through with their actions. Basically, he wants them to look as bad . . . as the bad guys. So, just from the cover of this issue, we can tell that . . . Katana is the right type of person for this . . . . mission . . exercise . . whatever. SHAZAM! . . . . is not! So . . why do we need a whole issue for this to be explained to us? And why was SHAZAM! even here in the first place? So . . . I guess the point of my complaint comes more to that issue, SHAZAM!, than necessarily the whole book. It was nice to see Katana back in action again. And yes . . I know . . we've seen her in recent months in the Outsiders. But . . with Katana . . . I kind of think solo action is the best. But the real point of this story is that Fukumaden, the realm that exists inside of Katana's sword, the soultaker, is in upheaval. And essentially SHAZAM! has come by to let her know that it is disrupting the rest of the magic realm. But she is already keenly aware of this because she is attacked by two of Fukumaden's inhabitants, whom should not be able to escape, and by BattleAxe. So, yes she does go in to the sword to ascertain the extent of the problem. And while there she comes across the plan of Takeo, her once brother-in-law. And yes SHAZAM! does have to help her to get back to the real world. So I guess he did have a purpose. But I really think someone else could've handled the chore besides him. But . . . hey . . . whatever. So yes I did have a few questions about this issue, but I still felt overall it was a pretty decent story by Mike W Barr. I also liked Kevin Sharpe's pencils. He's going to be a force to be reckoned with one of these days. And . . I'm a huge Outsider's fan, so I can let a few discrepancies slide. Now I just can't wait for issue #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment