Saturday, August 25, 2007

Hawkgirl #66 - DC


I'm sad. This is the last issue of this series. I'm sure the Hawks will be back . . in some form or another. But I'm always sad when a series ends. This one in particular I really dug when Walt Simonson was doing the stories and Howard Chaykin was on art. Nobody draws a woman as sexy as Howard does. But a few issues ago Howard left and Renato Arlem came on board to finish the art chores. He's no Howard, obviously, but . . . the guy shows a lot of potential. His style is different. It's unique. And like I said, it shows a ton of potential. We also got to see Walt do the final cover. Anyways, this issue finally puts to rest, after years and years, the Hath-Set storyline. Chay-ara has come back to inhabit Kendra's body, and to help with the final take down of their nemesis. Long story short they finally defeat him, and Chay-ara and Carter have a moment. But then she says she has to go. She has to let Kendra be her own person. "It may be that she loves you, perhaps a little. If you love her for who she is, it may be that, in time, she will come to love you as truly as I do." And it seems that Kendra has some advice for him also, "For a while I was seeing things . . . seeing you . . through her eyes. I almost feel like I'm seeing you clearly for the first time. I'm not sure what it means. But if I'm a mystery to you, well, I'm something of a mystery to me too. And isn't that the way women are supposed to be? So if you want me, you're going to have to get me the old fashioned way. You're going to have to earn me." To which Carter replies, "Deal!" Basically, we've wiped the slate clean with these two. All the old ghosts that haunt them are gone. And they both seem to have a brighter future right now. If that's going to be together . . . well that's another story. And I'm sure it'll be told somewhere. I just hope that they're not gone for that long. These are 2 amazing characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment