Sunday, August 26, 2007

Jonah Hex #22 - DC


I like this book. I like Jonah Hex. Hell, I even like Phil Noto's art. So what's not to like about this book? Well . . this particular issue . . . I felt like I was being taught a history lesson. Basically, we were shown that despite Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla's scientific endeavors, they were still a product of their environments. Specifically, the old west, and America before the machine age. What they want to express is that because of the times, it's really hard to tell who created what. We know who got credit for what. But that may differ a lot from who actually had the idea, or did the research. And these men, much like cowboys or gunmen, were willing to do whatever it took to protect what was theirs. Or I should say, what was theirs . . . at the time. Jonah gets thrown in the middle of things, kind of. He really doesn't like what he's seeing. He has a hard time believing what he's being told, by Thomas Edison and Aubrey Booth. And he doesn't particularly care for the direction they seem to be pushing the future towards. But he does know how to handle men stealing things from other men. So when Edison offers him a job, which Jonah quickly rejects. "Yore fulla funny ideas, Edison and ah don't think yore future is one ah'll regret havin' missed. I don't much like it here." The here that he's talking about is a town, or fort, that Edison has built in the Rocky's specifically as a place to do his research. So there's experiments and gadgets all over the place. There's a lot of facts, names and devices thrown in to the script of this story. Probably to make us feel like this tale is a possibility. And I understand what they tried to do. But like I said, I felt like I was being given either a science lesson, or a history lesson. Neither of which is why I picked this book up. So I wasn't to thrilled with this issue. Maybe it'll be better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment