Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Action Comics #852 - DC


I have to say, when this Brad Walker guy started doing Action comics, a few months ago, I wasn't to thrilled with him. I mean, yes the guy had some talent, but to me, he just wasn't the Superman kind of guy. Now, as he's done more work, I have to admit he shows some serious potential. I still think some of his frames, and action shots, seem a little awkward. But, he has shown improvement from issue to issue. And I do see little shots of brilliance in his panels from time to time. I think he still has a way to go . . . but like I said, there's a ton of potential. Anyways, this issue has a bunch of things going on. But that's what we've come to expect from a Kurt Busiek story. Jimmy has this major drama going on in his head. He's kind of freaked-out, but at the same time excited, about the changes he's been going through physically. No it's not puberty. Actually, ever since Lightray's death, he's been exhibiting outbursts of super-powers. That's enough to worry about, but Jimmy is also concerned about what he should do about these powers. How he should use them. While this is going on in his head, he and Clark have gone to Stryker's to cover the Kryptonite Man's trial. He seems calmed down and in control, but when the judge refuses his motion to continue his scientific work, under controlled circumstances, he goes in to a rage and shows his true colors. Literally. Clark/Superman makes quick work of him, but I have a feeling he's going to cause more trouble in the future. And at the end of the issue, hearing an alarm go off, Jimmy decides to go in to action as . . . . Mr. Action. Not the most brilliant of names, but I don't think this is something that's going to be going on for to awful long anyways. But it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Overall, a much better book than I was expecting going in to it. Like I said, I think Brad has a pretty good shot here. I just hope he rises to the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment