Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ghost Rider - Trail of Tears #6 - Marvel


Ok, I guess I'm just on a negative roll here. So let me start out by saying that the artwork and cover of this story was stupendous. Some of the interior panels are just amazing. Pretty gruesome in a few spots, but still fantastic. The story? Uhm . . . really kind of let me down. And I can't tell you how much it pains me to say that . . . . with Garth Ennis being the writer. I mean we all pretty much new, right from the beginning, that it was Caleb that was the Rider. So that came as no surprise. Really, the biggest surprise I had was when Reagan and his gang came back as demons. At least that's my guess. But you just knew they were going to be no match for the Rider. They messed up a lot of people. Our main character Travis Parham included. But it was never in question whether or not the Rider would exit victorious. I was kind of ironic at the end how Travis was searching for this justice, this whole time, for his friend Caleb. But when he found out that it was Caleb that was the Rider . . . he was disgusted by it. Also Caleb, who had befriended Travis, was also, more or less, the instrument of his damnation. So I guess you could say their friendship came full circle. And that's how it ended. Caleb, the Rider, rode off in to the sunset, and Travis pulled his stool up to a bar and died of old age in the bottom of a glass of bourbon. The End! Uhmm . . . . . . very anti-climactic. That story really could've been told in 2 or 3 issues. It really didn't have to be told in 6. Other than the $18 I gave to Marvel to buy them all. Thanks for that. I'm sure they'll be another Ghost Rider mini by these 2 creators. So I'm just hoping it has a better story than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment