Tuesday, August 14, 2007

SHAZAM! - the Monster Society of Evil #4 - DC


I'm sorry to say this. I really am. I'm a big fan of Jeff Smith's. And I really like the SHAZAM! character. But honestly . . . I found this book to be more than a bit . . . boring! I'm really sorry. But I did. I thought the story was boring. I thought the art was boring. I don't know . . . maybe Jeff was trying to give us that nostalgic feeling with the campy story. And the campy art. But, to be honest, those stories that we're thinking of . . . the SHAZAM! and Captain Marvel stories of the 50's, 60's and a little in the 70's . . . . really weren't all that good. I mean . . the 70's series was only around for about . . . . what . . . 35 issues. And a bunch of those, in the middle of the run, were giant sized reprints of the old old stories. Then the run only went on a bit farther because it was trying to hook in to the TV series. Which also . . . . to be honest . . . was not very good. The best SHAZAM! series I've seen in a long, long time would have to be the Trials of SHAZAM! maxi that's currently running. And that's barely about SHAZAM! It's more about Freddie. I know. Everybody has a soft spot in their heart for this character. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the wholesomeness. Maybe it's his strict code of honor and ethics. I'm not sure. But again . . . being honest . . . this actually is only a mediocre character at best. His very early stories were exciting, because they were different. But face it, there's really only so much you can do with this character. Then it becomes either unbelievable, or just not the same character. Which I'll give Jeff that . . . he definitely struck true to the character that is SHAZAM! He played him right in line with the character he's always been. Unfortunately, that character . . . is boring. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment