Monday, August 20, 2007

Blue Beetle #17 - DC


I want to like this book. I really do. I'm getting in to the character more and more. But . . I just know . . as soon as I do . . or as soon as I admit that I do . . . they're going to cancel the book. I mean . . come on. This book really doesn't have long term written all over it . . . anywhere. I mean Jamie is an interesting character. And I think that this version of the Blue Beetle will probably be around for awhile. But . . . I don't really think he'll have his own title for that much longer. Seriously! He'd be a great character in a group. Maybe the Teen Titans. Or maybe the new Infinity Inc. coming out soon. But as far as solo . . . he just doesn't seem like that type of character. I mean look . . basically he has a team already. He's got his friends that help him with his Beetle Cave, or whatever they call it. Basically it's a web page that they all can connect in to and talk. Jamie can access it with his suit. So if he's in the middle of a fight and needs some information, he just gets the team together and gets them working on it. He's also been reading some of Ted Kord's journals. And he's starting to take some of his advice about fighting tactics. He's arguing with this Hotel clerk when he thinks, "I've read Ted Kord's notes. Strategy. Tactics. Stop reacting like a scared kid . . what's my obstacle? Is it this guy? He wants me to come straight at him. He knows how to deal with that. Don't fight his fight. Look around him. What are the options? What does he need? What's the one thing my enemy doesn't want to happen in the next five minutes? Just because he's the problem right in front of me doesn't mean he's the solution . . ." That's a very mature way of looking at it. So there's definitely some progress with the character. I just think there's going to be a point where he could grow and develop more as a character . . . within a group setting. He's a character that is a lot more interesting when he's interacting with other characters. So I'm just guessing . . . but I don't think this particular title has much more than a year left in it. We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment