Sunday, August 05, 2007

Batman Confidential #7 - DC


We start a new storyline this issue. It's by Dan Green and Denys Cowan. Apparently it's going to be the definitive version of the origin of the Joker. What an undertaking. Over the years we've only been fed bits and pieces of this story. But now, I guess, we're going to get the whole thing. Apparently he's some kind of master criminal who's just bored to death with his trade. He finally cracks up when he robs this jewelry store. He goes in clean, doesn't trip any alarms. Takes 3 shots, one to the owner, one to his son, and one to the security camera. Then, when the store is his for the picking, he simply walks away. He's sitting in a bar drinking ginger ale, when he's talking to this barmaid, whom I think is a young Harley Quinzel, when he tells her, "I was on a job just last week . . . all went right and well and according to plan and . . . it just didn't feel right. Like it was . . . too easy. They looked surprised when I left. I used to love what I do. I'd wake up in the morning excited to try new ideas, new combinations . . . like a chef who dreams of tomorrows menu. I keep waiting for that excitement. The roar of purpose in my chest when I cut through a challenge. But lately . . . my heart's as quiet as the bottom of a pool. And nowhere near as tranquil." She convinces him that he should just shake it up a little. So on his next bank job, they've gotten in to a safe, and it's ripe for the picking, when he kicks over a gumball stand and sets off the alarm. When the police show up, and they start shooting it out, he starts to get excited. But then he realizes that he's the only crack shot in the room, because everyone else is scared or excited and couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn. He's just standing there, as the bullets are flying, "Can't any of you shoot straight?". And then, as if on cue, Batman comes crashing through the door. And the look on Jack's face, is like he's found his soul-mate. All he can say is, "He looks ridiculous!" This should pan out to be a pretty cool storyline. I have seen Denys do anything in quite a long time. I really didn't even notice him, until he did the Question all those years ago. But he's back for this storyline. It should be a doozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment