Monday, November 12, 2007

Gotham Underground #1 - DC


I liked this book. I'm not exactly sure why it couldn't have been carried in one of the regular Bat-titles, but . . that's ok. It's written by Frank Tieri, and drawn by Jim Calafiore. Both of them, great talents. This story seems awful familiar to the Suicide Squad story currently running in CheckMate. Villains are getting scooped up and kidnapped, just like that story. Here, we don't actually see who's do the abductions, but in the one frame it kind of looks like Bane. But he's not doing it by himself, so he's part of some group. But then a few of the villains gather at the Iceberg Lounge, Penguin's front. They're afraid for their safety. The group includes Hugo Strange, the Scarecrow, Two-Face and the Mad Hatter. This issue we're also introduced to a new mob-boss in town. Since the Black Masks death there's been no one to fill the void. Well, I guess, that's what this guys agenda is. He goes by the name Tobias Whale. And he looks like he sounds. Big! We also see Batman, most of this issue, in his Matches Malone identity. As Matches he been working with the Penguin, so he's in the backroom when all the Rogues are gathered. But then they come busting through the door. It actually is Bane, and with him . . . . . . is the rest of the Suicide Squad. So apparently this is part of the storyline that's running through CheckMate, and from what I understand, Salvation Run. This issue ends up with Bane knocking out Matches. So I'm not exactly sure how, other than the obvious, that this series is going to tie in with the other 2, but since it's the first issue, I'll give it a chance . . . and we'll see. I really hope that we're not going to find out that we're reading the same story, but from three different perspectives. I appreciate the insight, but . . . whatever. I'll let you know what I think after the next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment