Sunday, November 18, 2007

Jack of Fables #16- Vertigo


I really like this book. I just have a hard time describing it. Bill Willingham is really . . . out there. Well . . maybe not him specifically. But . . when he writes these stories . . wow . . he's all over the board. I think this months cover, by Brian Bolland though is fantastic. What more could you ask for, for the week of Halloween? This issue we have a story weaved by Jack himself. He tells of how he came across the devil one day, trapped in a tree, and how he offered him a boon if he helped him escape. "I promise that hell will never let you enter it's sulfurous gates . . . no matter what evil deeds you do in life." So he takes him up on his offer. He was already a mischievous fellow, so a get out of hell free card was just what he needed. However, as with all deals with the devil, it's what he didn't say that's important. He never promised him he'd get in to heaven. Just that he wouldn't have to live in hell. So he travels back to the land of the living, and on the way he has an epiphany. "What if there was more than one actual version of the devil? I'd only made a deal with one of the." So he goes looking for others. With each one, he ups the deal. "Once I was even ahead 537 years, before one of my deals fell through." At which point he tells Gary that his current deal is about to run it's course, and that he needs to find a new version to talk to. And that's what I'm talking about. Where oh where does Bill come up with these ideas? I know the guys brilliant. But . . wow . . his thought process is out there. Well, however he does it, it's very entertaining. And that's all we can ask of this medium. Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment