Thursday, November 29, 2007

All*Star Superman #9 - DC


The funny thing about reading a Grant Morrison story is that, while reading it, you're confused and awed at the same time. He breathes such life into his characters. This issue he introduces us to Bar-el and Lilo. I think of Lilo & Stitch every time I see their names, but . . . whatever. Anyways, while Clark was gone on his Bizzaro quest, these two astronauts from Krypton . . that had apparently been lost for years in space . . . found their way to Earth. When they gained their powers they decided it was their duty to tame the savages, and bring the rich Kryptonian culture to this Earth. They had already begun their vision when Superman returned in the make-shift rocket. But instantly they seemed to be at odds over their perceptions of their roles. There's even a little battle, but that comes to a halt when the moon is broken. And eventually, Bar-el and Lilo's bodies betray them. Something they seem to have passed through on their long journey through space, has begun turning certain chemicals in their bodies in to Kryptonite. They're being poisoned from within. The only choice Superman has is to put them in the Phantom Zone so that they can still live. Luckily, the 3 of them make peace before he does so. The thing I love about this series is that it really reminds me of the short little epics that used to run through the Superman books back in the 60's and 70's. You know. Those amazing issues done by the likes of Curt Swan, Cary Bates, Murphy Anderson, and Kurt Shaffenberger . . . just to name a few. Even the way Grant handles the Steve Lombard character reminds me of those . . I guess . . more innocent times. It's really no surprise to me that this series won an Eisner award. I'm just thrilled to death that it's continuing as long as it has. I was expecting it to be just a 4 to 6 issue thing. But we're already coming up on #10. Fantastic! And before I forget, Frank Quitely's take on the Superman cast of characters is spot on. I find it hard to imagine how this could be a more perfect book. Well done, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment