Monday, November 12, 2007

Ultimate Spider-man #115 - Marvel


This is another of the books that are in my top 5. I've loved this book ever since it's inception. And even though we've had a creative change . . . which, after 111 issues, you really can't complain about . . . this book has stayed right on track. But, since Bendis has been the writer through the entirety of it, I guess there's no reason for the approach to the book to change that much. I was just a little concerned that Mark Bagleys input would be missed. And yes he is missed. But, Stuart Immonen is really doing a bang-up job. This has probably been the most consistent series . . as far as over the long stretch . . . that I've ever had the privilege of reading. In this issue, Carol Danvers is using Peter as bait. She knows that Norman's obsessed with him, so after the little debacle last issue, she made a big deal in front of all the press about putting under arrest. She's got to get Norman back somehow. But then Kitty rescues Peter and screw up Carol's plans. However, shortly thereafter, there's an apartment fire in a high-rise, that just happens to be at the lawyers of one Norman Osborne. Which is way to much of a coincidence, so SHIELD and Peter go scrambling over there. The issue ends with Peter's web-shooters running out of fluid, and Norman and Peter tumbling out of the high-rise window. The part about this book, for me, that makes it such a pleasure to read is the interaction between the characters. Nothings forced or contrived. It just . . flows . . like it would naturally. When they're down . . they're down. And when they're feeling salty . . they get a bit sarcastic. It's just smooth and natural. The characters don't sound like they're standing there posturing making super-hero remarks. Peter sounds like Peter. Whether he's in costume or out. It really is one of my favorite series. I have all the variants and everything, and I know I could make a bunch of money selling as a lot on E-bay. But . . . I never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment