Friday, November 16, 2007

Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters #2 - DC


The Freedom Fighters have always been one of my favorite team books. I think because I was so young the first time I saw them. At that time, the only team book that I had really read was the Justice League. And the Freedom Fighters book was definitely no Justice League. Also the characters were different. They weren't shiny super-heroes like Superman, Green Lantern or the Flash. They were more normal people, with normal problems who just happened to be granted super powers. It didn't make them better, or anything . . . it just made them different. In fact, in a way, it was almost like a curse to them. I mean look at the Human Bomb. He was stuck in that suit. Never able to have human contact again. And what about Doll Man. Yes he was a spy, and lived a life of espionage, but what about companionship. There was no one else in the whole world his size. Anyways, to me, they were all like super-heroes with an ironic twist. Which, at the time, made them different. Because they weren't perfect. This particular issue, further illustrates that point. Misty Knight is living the life of a privileged media star. Drugs, booze and debauchery . . which lead to gossip, rumor and innuendo. Now, add to that her father was killed, months before she even knew it . . . and was replaced by a robot. So you can see where she might be a little narcissistic right now. So really she's at, or maybe even past, the point where she's about to implode. The President, and his PR guy, are ready to hang her out to dry. They're ready to bring in another bunch to take their place, and just be rid of them all. Basically . . . by whatever means necessary. Uncle Sam has come in to intervene, although I don't think the President is aware of that, and has taken Misty off to his outerdimensional sanctuary. There, she's literally cut off from all of her vices. Which sends her in to a deep depression and, on the last page of this issue, it looks like it's pushed her to suicide. Meanwhile, the Red Bee has come out of her cacoon and looks like she's been transformed by her alien insect confrontation. Like I said, super-heroes with ironic twists. This one's brought to us by the ever popular writing duo of Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. Renato Arlem does the pencils. I liked his stuff when he did X-factor. I also thought that he had improved when he did Hawkgirl. I really think he's doing a decent job here. But honestly, I like the Hawkgirl work better. It's probably not that much different. But . . it's just my preference. Overall though, I love the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment