Tuesday, November 20, 2007

American Virgin #20 - Vertigo




Steven T Seagle has been the writer throughout this series. Becky Cloonan does the art on this issue, and most of the previous ones. She's only had a few fill-ins so far. I think. This issue, Adam has come home, from his "round-the-world" trip, with Vanessa. He was told in a vision . . . quite a while ago now . . . that his true love would be at this beauty pageant that he was guest judge at. That's where he met Cassie. But . . . now she's dead. She was doing some volunteer work in Africa, and was abducted. To make an example of her, they killed her on the internet. Which leads to him starting to question the vision. His best guess is that he picked the wrong girl. So he got a list of the other contestants and starting checking them out. That's how he met Vanessa. On a whim, he decided to go on a trip around the world with her. Just kind of "seat of your pants" type thing. Getting transportation however they could, and staying in hostel's and such. During that trip, they fell in love with each other. And got married. Now he's come home to tell his parents, Mamie and Earl what's happened. As expected, Mamie freaks. As does his publicist, Moon. Mamie wants an immediate annulment. Moon just wants him to not talk about it, until he can figure out what kind of spin to put on it. Basically, he's messing with more than just his own livelihood here. In the middle of all this, his step-brothers, who have been helping him find the other girls, inform him that they have found his real dad. He's in Cuba. Adam immediately wants to head there, but Mamie has other plans. First she wants the whole wedding thing taken care of. After which, she'll allow him to go, as long as she comes along. It took a while for me to get into the story, with these characters. But now, I finally think I'm getting a handle on it all. And honestly, it's just one big soap-opera. I like it more than I did when I first picked it up. Except we had the Quitely covers back then. But it's still not my cup of tea. I keep reading it, hoping that something in it will grab me. But, so far it hasn't. I don't think I'm going to be sticking with this one to much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment