Saturday, November 17, 2007

Loveless #20 - Vertigo


This comic vexes me. To a bit. I really like it. I think the writing is outstanding. And there were some issue, that had some incredible art. But . . . there were also some issues, such as this one drawn by Werther Dell'Edera, that I just really didn't like the art at all. I'll be the first one to tell you that I think the quality of the story far outweighs that of the art. You have to keep the readers interest. You have to be able to draw them in. They have to feel like they can follow and visualize the story as it progress' from month to month. And the story, somehow, has to strike a chord, somewhere, in the reader. It gives them a reason to become invested. But . . . that being said . . . much to my chagrin . . . this is a visual medium. So, no matter how good the story, if the artwork doesn't catch their eye, they're just going to skim over it as their looking to add to their stack at the shop. And let's face it, when alls said and done, it really all comes down to sales. Which is why most books have such fantastic covers. Mario Frusin does this cover. He also did the interiors on some of the better issues in this series. As I read this book, I'm trying to follow the story. But, I hate to admit, I'm distracted by the artwork. I'm really not trying to rag on Werther. The guy obviously has talent. And it's a talent that I don't have. But, when the quality of the art distracts me from the story, I have a hard time remaining interested. And I have a hard time becoming invested, because, deep down, I know that the book won't be around that long. This particular issue revolves around the wedding. Apparently it is the center of the universe, in Blackwater, right now, and it's going to be remembered because of everything that happens on this day. Everything is coming to a head . . . right now! I like this book. I really do. I just think that creatively it could be so much more appealing. But when it comes down to it, it's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.


No comments:

Post a Comment