Thursday, November 29, 2007

Simon Dark #2 - DC


This book is more than a little dark. I like it! This Simon Dark seems to be a form of anti-hero. We haven't been given all the pieces yet, but, from what I can piece together so far, he's kind of like a patchwork man. Or child. He seems to have the body . . . stature . . of a young adult. But this issue, as he's lying in the morgue, and they remove his mask, he looks rather young . . . and peckish. Oh yeah, he died this issue. 9 rounds point blank from a service revolver. So he spent the majority of this issue, first in the alley bleeding out, and then lying on the examination table. But this is only issue #2. How could our anti-hero end up dead already? Well he was dead . . . . until he wasn't. (??) He was lying on the table, and the examiner was a little confused about where to start. When she removed his shirt, he was made up of more than a few pieces, all roughly sewn together. As she's discussing with the investigating officer, arguing over which way to proceed, Simon slid off the table and hid . . . when they weren't looking. Granted it was only for a split second, but, I guess that was all the time he needed. All he says is, "I want to go home!" He then takes off down the hallway, and across Gotham towards that goal. I guess. He ends up in the basement of a flower shop. I think that's where he ended up last issue also. So obviously these people have something to do with him. But, like I said, we haven't been given all the pieces yet. It looks like Steve Niles has another hit on his hands. Of course the beautiful art of Scott Hampton doesn't hurt any. If you haven't picked it up yet . . . you really should. Especially since it's only on issue #2, so you should still be able to find #1 sitting on some shelves out there. I would definitely recommend it. For those wondering, the only reason I labeled this as a Batman Nation book, is because it takes place in Gotham. I'm not sure what category to put it under yet. But I'll rectify it when I figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment