Thursday, November 29, 2007

Metamorpho - Year 1 - #3 DC


This is a pretty decent book. It's main purpose seems to be bringing Rex's origin into the 21st century. The story has remained pretty much the same, it just has a modern feel to it now. Dan Jurgens has remained true to the original. I'm sure we'll get a few new ideas by the end of the series. But overall, we know what's going to happen. I think that Mike Norton is an "up-n-comer" in the artist circles. His work has greatly improved over on the Atom. I don't think it's as good here . . . but . . . I do think that his style lends very well to this story. On the Atom he's got a flashy, kind of action based style. And it works with the weirdness of Ivytown. It just feels like he's toned it down a bit for this book. And like I said, that style seems to work here. Oh, and I can't forget the Kevin Nowlan covers. They're fantastic. Anyways, we're introduced to a nemesis' of Stagg's this issue, Maxwell Tremaine. He's brought Rex to his island because he's an arms merchant, and he's hoping Rex will help him develop and test new weapons. Of course Rex thinks that's obscene. But Maxwell has also brought the Orb with him, so he forces Rex into some field tests. In the process Rex takes out some pretty high-tech weapons. And by the time he's done, Stagg and Java and Sapphire have shown up. Sapphire say "Isn't daddy awesome? He knew exactly who kidnapped you and where to find you!" To which Rex responds, "Yeah . . real lifesaver. So why can't I help thinking that I went from the frying pan . . . smack dab in to the fire?" My only problem with the book so far, is how Rex seems so adept with his powers, so quickly. He gives Stagg a quick explanation this issue, "Damned if I know! It's instinctual mostly. Or an automatic reflex. I see a need . . an image flashes in my mind of a solution and my body adapts!" Ok! But before the accident, Rex didn't really seem like that much of a thinker to me. And definitely not a scientist or chemist. So it just seems a little hokie,to me, that he's been able to adjust so quickly. Maybe I'm reading more in to it than I should, but I think we need a better explanation. However I still like the book, and the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment