Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wonder Woman #31 - DC


To me, the only downfall about this issue is that Aaron Lopresti didn't do the interior art. However, we do get his cover, shown here. Bernard Chang does the interiors. At first I didn't know if I'd like it or not, I've really been diggin' Aaron's stuff, but . . overall, I thought Bernard gave this issue a really good feel. Don't get me wrong, I like Bernard's style, I was just really looking forward to Aaron's interpretation. Anyways . . we get a pretty big revelation this issue. And, we don't see much of Genocide this issue. First of all, after Diana has spent some time recuperating, we get caught up on what the Olympians have been doing. Those are Zeus' creation, that were originally called the Manazons. What a terrible name. It is funny though. Anyways, they seem to be trying to bring peace to the world, but as Athena reveals to Diana, Ares is secretly manipulating them . . "The Olympians are is Russia, Diana. Outside Moscow. They do not know it, but Ares has chosen them to start the conflict that destroys the world, in the name of peace." So basically, even with all the stuff going on with Genocide and Diana worrying about Etta's recovery . . Athena still has no choice but to call her in to action. "I am sorry, Diana. But you know your duty . . go save us all. Daughter." Meanwhile, back on Themyscira, Ares is also trying to stir up things with the Amazons. Queen Hippolyta has recently been encouraged by the return of her sisters, and is even welcoming the Bana-Mighdall back. But this doesn't please everyone. Ares is trying to stir stuff up with Alkyone, the Captain of the Queen's personal guard. She's trying to negotiate with Ares for the 'key' to 3 more that are prisoners still. I'm not sure who she's talking about. I'm sure she's doing what she thinks is best for the Queen, but even Ares warns her . . "No bargain with me seems to ever quite work as imagined." Anyways, Athena provides the startling revelation. I was thinking that TO Morrow had used Knockout's body for Genocide. The look and stature is kind of the same, and . . . Knockout is dead. But Athena tells Diana . . "Genocide is the new Prometheus, Diana. And the corpse, the great warrior she was made from . . . is you." Apparently it's some future version of her, or her after she dies. We're not quite sure which. "This is Ares' doing. That vessel is filled with his godly essence. It no longer knows any part of you. You must face this Diana. Who else can wield the lasso made only for your hand? In trying to create peace, the Olympians, Zeus' creations, will start Earth's final war." I really didn't see that one coming. I think Gail Simone is doing a fantastic job with this series. I love the 'trials' that she's putting Diana through, and the hint of love that she's found with Tom. It'll be interesting to see what role these Olympians play in Diana's, and the Amazons future. I think their intentions are good, they're just being manipulated by Ares right now. Out from under his influence, I think that they may be able to coexist with the Amazons. Plus we still need to learn more about Achilles. I love the look and feel of this book right now, and that's all on Gail's shoulders. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment