Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Justice Society of America #26 - DC

As you can tell, there were 3 covers to this issue. Basically they're a huge gate-fold picture, by Alex Ross obviously, of all of the members of the JSA. In case you can't figure it out, the one with Mr Terrific is on the left. The one with Stargirl is in the middle. And the one with Powergirl is on the right. I couldn't get them lined up side by side, but I think you can get the gist of things by looking at the images. Personally, I think Alex Ross is a virtuoso. But his instrument in the drawing pencil. I'm sure they'll probably put this out in poster form, but . . I haven't seen it yet. Anyways, I can't believe that Geoff Johns can put out so many good books every month. I just got done reading Legion of 3 Worlds, and now I pick this one out of the stack. It must be my lucky day. Unfortunately though, I think this is going to be Geoff's and Dale Eaglesham's final issue with this title. Next month we have a fill-in issue by Jerry Ordway. Then, the following month, we start with a brand new creative team. It'll consist of Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges and Jesus Merino. But enough about the future. This issue was kind of a 'Day-in-the-life' type issue. Basically, everybody missed Courntney's birthday because of Black Adam's attack on the Rock of Eternity. Last week Courtney said it was 'no big deal'. But this week? This week she's upset that nobody did anything for her. So when her and Mary Marvel get home . . of course everyone it there waiting for her to give her a surprise party. With Geoff writing this final issue, there's more than a few touching moments in it. Which really is Geoff's strength . . his character development. Obviously Courtney and Mary are best friends now. There's also a touching moment between Wildcat and his son. And also between Courtney and Jakeem. Amazingly enough. Starman acts just as goofy as ever, and I love the report between Damage and Doc Midnight. Also between Damage and Atom Smasher. And, when the new kids on the block give Courtney a picture to thank her for everything she's taught them . . it's very touching. Especially when Jay, Alan and tell her . . "You've been on this team a long time now, Courtney . . you've proven yourself time and time again. Today, you've been passing on everything you've learned and, more important, everything you believe in. When the Vets stand together, Court, Stargirl stands with them. You've grown up." All in all it was just a really 'feel-good' type of issue. It was a great way for the guys to leave this series. I'm sure there will be enough turmoil around the next corner . . around every corner, that it was just nice to see everybody together, enjoying each other's company, and enjoying life. I've been with the Justice Society through, probably, 4 or 5 various incarnations. I'd have to say that these 26 issues . . to me . . rank up there as the 'best of the best'. I've thoroughly enjoyed Geoff and Dale's work on this series. I hope that Bill, Matt and Jesus can live up to the high standards that have been set before them. I really do. This team . . and these characters deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment