Monday, April 13, 2009

Noble Causes #40 - Image


Boy I'm batting a 1000 here. This is yet another book in my stack in which we've reached the final issue. What's up with that? I guess it doesn't say to much for my choice in books that so many of them have been cancelled of late. But this one? To me, I think Jay Faerber does a fantastic job with these character. But, as he states on the letters page, "Noble Causes was never a sales juggernaut, and spin-offs always sell less than the 'parent' book." However, despite that . . I always liked it. Jay has a way of writing his stories with just the right amount of super-hero glitz, and just the right amount of soap-opera drama. And the Noble family, was the perfect choice for this type of story. We start out this book knowing that it's the last issue. Jay says on the letters page, "That's it. I can't state it any more plainly." But yet he still leaves us with a fantastic cliffhanger. Last issue Gaia got out of jail. The first thing she did was go over to greet Doc, and plant a full lip-lock on him. All of this happened as Doc's current wife, Olympia, and the press corps look on. So, not only does Olympia have to see what happens, but then . . then she has to look at it over and over again as it shows up on the front page of every newspaper and magazine that she picks up. Gaia makes a play to get Doc back, but he tells her that he's not interested. However, when he goes home Olympia is packing her bags. She says she's going to give Doc some space until he can figure out who he loves more. On the final panel of the final page he makes a phone call . . "I've been doing a lot of thinking, and . . . . you're the one I want." The problem is . . . we don't know who he's talking to. It's almost laughable. Anyways, I really like this series. I thought Jay did a fantastic job with the story-lines. Also I thought Yildiray Cinar was improving every issue as an artist. It's really going to be a shame to see this one go. I guess I'll just have to follow Jay's work someplace else. Plus . . it looks like I'm going to need another Image book to pick up. Does anyone out there have any suggestion? Really . . I'm open to anything. Just let me know what you think I'd like. I'm willing to give almost anything a shot. Otherwise . . I'm down to Spawn as my last Image book. I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment