Monday, April 13, 2009

the Amazing Spider-man #590 - Marvel


I love it when Spidey has a team-up issue. Especially when it's the Fantastic Four. We get to see all the various sides of Spidey's personality. When he around Johnny or Ben he acts like an adolescent. Much the way they do. In fact, the 3 of them seem to feed off each other. But yet when he gets involved in a conversation with Reed . . the nerd hats come out and they start talking over everybody else's head. I know Pete's a smart guy, but . . I think he's a whole lot smarter than it's ever been addressed. When he's talking to Reed . . he can keep up. He thinks of things in a different way than Reed does, but . . I think that's how they feed off each other. And think of it this way . . as smart as Reed is, he's the only one Pete feels comfortable talking to that way . . exposing his academic side. Anyways, the point of this issue is that the group needs to take another trip to the macro-verse. Apparently they've been calling to the FF, and Spidey, for help. However when they get there, they find that what they're actually doing is praying to them. They've been elevated to the stature of deity's since they left . . statues and everything. Which leads to a different problem. Johnny realizes that Spidey's statue is faceless. So when they were here they knew his identity, but now they don't? And this is really bugging Johnny. So far Pete has exposed his secret to the Avengers. Is he going to do it now to the FF? The part that's bugging me now is that it almost seems like he knows that Mephisto changed all of this for him. Which he shouldn't because he also erased his memory. But when he reacts to Johnny's banter . . . "Just drop it Storm! No one knows! That . . that's how it has to be! No exceptions! And if that means we're not friends? FINE!" So, either Pete's known this whole time, or . . there's a glitch in our story-line. Unfortunately, we aren't going to know which it is until next issue. So far I think Dan Slott's been doing a decent job with these books, but . . I hope something doesn't happen here that simply negates everything we've learned, or thought we knew about Brand New Day. Not that I necessarily agree with it all, but . . that would still be a huge let-down. But I'm not going to get to negative until I see how next issue pans out. Barry Kitson and Mark Farmer handle the art chores this issue. That part of the book is incredible. I'm a huge fan of Barry's, and Mark and him seem to mesh together very well. If nothing else, this issue has left me bouncing in my seat waiting for the next. I haven't felt that way, on this book, for quite a while. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment