Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #4 - DC


I couldn't wait to read this one. Geoff Johns and George Perez? Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming. I couldn't have asked for a better creative duo. And honestly, after reading this issue . . it was everything I expected and more. As we found out last issue Bart Allen was brought back. It turns out that when the Rogues turned on him, they didn't actually kill him. Yes they did, but . . because of the accelerated aging thing, the Speed-Force pulled his essence, his soul out before he died. The aging thing was like a cancer that would've killed him in a couple of months anyways. So when his body died, he said it was like he was having an out of body experience. And that wasn't even the major revelation of this issue. Let's see . . what else happened. Oh yeah, Dirk came back. After he finds out that one of the other Sun-boys were killed, he gets the strength to reignite his fire . . as it were. We watch Superboy-Prime kill Legionnaires right and left. It'll be interesting to see who's left standing when this is all over. Now I kind of understand why the had to cancel the monthly title temporarily . . I hope. The Legion, and it's ranks may be entirely different when the dust settles. Also the Time-Trapper has pulled Superman and the 3 founders of the Legion into the future . . to the end of time, where he's trapped. He goes on a rant about how he's been trying to erase the Legion, and Superman. But he's always been thwarted. "I pulled Superboy-Prime out of the time stream to be my greatest weapon. And no, the irony does not escape me. I've spent my existence trying to erase Superman's influence from the timeline. Working backwards from this moment, this prison, my focus had always been on the Legion . . for what they did to me. But after countless failures, I went to the root of my pain. With time in a state of malleability following the first crisis . . I attempted to remove any true memories of Superboy from the Legion. But still, I couldn't erase you. So I've decided to replace you. And I wanted the heart of the Legion, the 3 founders and their inspiration, to witness the fall of the Superman Dynasty. While you painfully die . . AT MY HAND!!" Now for the real surprise . . Starman had gone back in time to begin an experiment for Brainiac 5. He has a specific task. Lets see if you can guess what's coming up. His task involves digging up a body, one with Kent on the gravestone, and burying a Kryptonian Chrysalis deep beneath the Fortress. "It's the same one that regenerated Superman's body when he was left for dead by Doomsday. It took the chamber months to heal Superman from the wounds he suffered. In this case, the healing process has taken over a thousand years. And it's still not complete. This fresh human DNA will finish the other half of the healing process. Initiate DNA integration." Which is where the next clue comes in. The other part of Brainiac's plan was when Polar Boy went back in time to retrieve the fresh human DNA . . . "A fresh strand of Lex Luthor's hair." Are you starting to put the pieces together yet. Brainiac has brought back . . he's regenerated . . . Connor . . Superboy. But he doesn't really have time to celebrate his return. When he finds out that Superboy-Prime is there . . he's out for blood. Literally. But again, this wasn't even the biggest revelation. Superman, at the end of time, is fighting the Time-Trapper. In all of the years that the Legion has been around . . Adventure Comics #247, 1958 . . we've never known who the Time-Trapper really was. There's been clues . . there's been hints, but . . nothing has ever really been confirmed. Until now. Superman gets up close and personal with him, and is ripping off his shroud . . while Irma has realized . . "The Time Trapper! He's never done it before, but . . he's lowering his mental defenses." On the final page of this issue, we finally find out who the Time Trapper is. It's a much older, grey and bearded . . . Superboy-Prime. I definitely didn't see that one coming. I'm telling you . . this issue was just loaded with one surprise after another. And they each got better and better. My only concern is . . how are they going to top this with the next issue? Are there more secrets out there that we don't know? And how can they possibly wrap this up in one issue? I can't wait for the final issue of this to come out. Geoff Johns really seems like he's at the top of his game here. And George Perez? George is freakin' phenomenal! This is probably some of his best work I've seen! Ever! With him doing 30 pages of art for the issues, we've had to wait a little while between them. But . . it's all worth it. I could care less. This was one of the best issues I've read in months. If you aren't reading this one, you are definitely missing out. And if you want to get caught up . . you better hurry. There's only 1 issue left.

No comments:

Post a Comment