Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Masquerade #3 - Dynamite Entertainment


I like this book, and I find this character intriguing. However, this issue . . to me, it was more than a little confusing. The problem I have with this character is that she's a detective who seems to derive answers from her memories and previous events. It's almost like she has this hidden switch that turns on the memories that are specifically related to what's happening around her at that time. Basically, it helps her put 2 and 2 together faster. And that's cool. I mean, she doesn't have any 'super-powers' per-se, but . . she does have this unique deductive skill. Plus . . she's amazingly hot, and has a very strong drive and will. Whether she's a hero or not, that's what she wants to be. Even if she has to prove it . . to everyone. Anyways, the problem I have is . . well, take this story for instance. She's trying to find out what happened to the Face. She's tracked him down with a kidnapping case that led him to an amusement park. It seems to be overrun with criminals and felons. The one she thinks has the answers is named Topsed. Which to me seems like a really silly name. Anyways, as she's working her way through this, she keeps going back to these previous memories. I get the one that her brother betrayed their family for some money. In the process of which, he was killed. But then she also goes back to the memory of when the Fighting Yank tricked her into opening the urn that trapped her. Then she goes back to the memories after her father died. She had a suitor ready to aide and help her with the family business, but . . she decided to be alone. This appears to also be the time that she decide to be Masquerade diligently. She'd wore the costume as a kid but never really thought of, or assumed it as a secret identity. It was all just play, before. And that's how the issue ends. Which is why I'm confused. Is this whole story about her looking for the Face, in the past? Is everything in this issue her thinking of the past? And right now . . if so . . I don't really see how it's all connected. Anyways, like I said . . I like the book. I think that Alex Ross has come up with a terrific idea here, and Phil Hester is doing a good job of interpreting that into this mini. I also think that Carlos Paul's art is improving by leaps and bounds every issue. As a stand alone issue . . this one just really had me confused. Maybe it'll all make more sense after I read #4, the final part of this series. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment