Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Uncanny X-Men #509 - Marvel


I can't believe I only have 2 Marvel books this week. And, only 1 X-Men book. It seems like that never happens. There were a couple of mini's out this week, but . . for the most part, I'm trying to stay away from those. Partly because of the cover price. Especially the plethora of Wolverine books that have hit the shelves in anticipation of the movie release. But it looks like things will be getting back to normal next week. I think there's 10 or 12 Marvels in the pile next week. Anyways, this book is starting to heat up again. I can't believe that Madelyne Pryor is back. I mean, I knew she would be eventually, but . . . I'm a little confused as to her actual state-of-being. Last issue she took the body of Kwannon and brought it back to life. She wanted to have the empty shell to put the essence of Psylocke into it. I was trying to figure out what she was up to, but this issue we find out that it was really all just a test. She wanted to see if she could do it. "And now we can control her. She does what we say. All of the power and none of the personality. Bodies and minds capable of housing such tremendous psychic powers are rare things, my darling girls, especially dead ones. We needed to reanimate a body capable of containing a psyche that powerful. Now that we've tested and succeeded in doing it once . . . we'll be doing it again. I have no home sisters. This is why I have assembled you. This is why I need your help. What we've done to Psylocke is a test. While her abilities and talents are welcome, the real accomplishment is housing the spirit inside new flesh. There have been but two humans gifted enough to contain power as great as mine. My first host was destroyed irrevocably. And the second? Well. I had thought the X-Men would have caught wind of us and stopped our first ritual. So I wanted them gone." Apparently, Madelyne isn't a whole being. She's an apparition, or some kind of psychic being. That part isn't really explained. So I guess she needs a body so that she can become whole and wreak havoc on the X-Men's lives. The assumption is, she's probably going after Emma. They attack the X-Men in the middle of the night and take them out one by one. But as it turns out, the person that she wants for her host is . . . Logan? That's an interesting twist of events. Also, the members of Hank's little science club decide that since they sent someone into the future, maybe they can send someone into the past. "If we could study the parents of a . . what would we call it, a first-generation mutant? We could see what the genetic indicators and eccentricities made such an evolutionary leap possible." They all assume that Namor was the first mutant, but apparently Hank and Dr Nemesis have been keeping a secret. "Nicely done, Dr McCoy. Lady and gentlemen and Jefferies, what McCoy is so subtly insinuation is . . it's me. I was born in 1906. I am kept alive by an aggressive array of bizarre narcotics of my own invention and my unending annoyance of you all. And I was born here, San Francisco. You want a sample of pre-mutant DNA, my parents are prime candidates." This is what I like about Matt Fractions writing . . he always fills his stories with original ideas. He definitely thinks outside of the box. Between Matt and Greg Land . . this is a heck of a book right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment