Sunday, April 19, 2009

Vigilante #5 - DC

First of all, I'm glad to see Tom Lyle back on a book. I'm not sure if he's done anything for Marvel lately, but . .I sure haven't seen him on any DC books. I liked this issue. Maybe it's because Marv Wolfman is doing the story. He's definitely got a little espionage thriller going on here. And he certainly knows how to handle the Titans. But to me, that's also really the only problem I have with this book. I enjoyed the first Vigilante series . . and the second . . and the mini. And I've enjoyed this series . . so far. But, with both of the Titans teams showing up this issue . . I'm not sure if I liked this one because of the Vigilante, or . . because both the Titans teams were here. We're getting bite sized pieces of the Vigilante's story, and clues to his real identity, every issue but . . they're only bite sized pieces. And with this cross-over story with the Titans and Jericho . . I think that takes precedence over the Vigilante mystery. I'm glad Marv is handling Joey the way he is. He's a smart guy, and I think he's using the knowledge of all the various people that are in his head. He's a whack-job, sure. But, he is going about his plan systematically. And, from what we find out this issue, it appears that plan is to destroy, if not kill, the Titans. The ironic part is, I don't really think it's for any reason other than to impress his dad, Deathstroke. Who really isn't even there. I think Vigilante came to a life decision this issue also. He's mostly been about himself, so far. He's trying to payback whatever this horrible mistake is that he's made in his past, but . . he's doing it his own way. He's not asking for anybodies help, and . . he's not out to save anybody. However, when he finds out what Joey's planning . . he can't help but to try and help the Titans. "I should forget this and go home. It's no skin off my teeth if that maniac succeeds or fails. I know what I should do. But I don't. I'm not after him because I'm some selfless good-guy out to save the world. I'm only hoping to save myself. But sometimes . . . it's hard to tell the difference between altruism and selfishness."

No comments:

Post a Comment