Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Wolverine: First Class #13 - Marvel


This title doesn't really excite me a whole lot . . other than it's another installment of Wolverine every month. But . . the interesting thing about this one is how it's set in the early days of his involvement with the X-Men. He's pretty new to the team . . at least as a permanent fixture, and it's right around the same time that Kitty came on board. So, as in the original stories, he and Kitty spend a lot of time together. Basically, he's her mentor. Of course most of his time is spent getting her out of some sticky situation or another. However the irony of it all is . . he's probably the reason she gets into these messes in the first place. 'Guilty by association', and all that. Anyways, this particular story deals with Logan's association to everything Japanese. Specifically Lady Makiro. This time it's a friend of her's, Keli Saga. She's recently taken over her dead husband's corporation and the Hand is after her because she no longer wants to do business the old way. Basically, she wants Logan to protect her. The interesting thing about this issue is . . we get to see Matt Murdock in action also. And, I hadn't really thought about it but . . since this takes place quite a while ago . . who was leading the Hand back then? None other than Elektra . . who shows up on the final page of the issue. All in all I thought it was an interesting story. I may be biased, but I thought it was better than the previous issues which I credit to Peter David's story-telling. The artist was Ronan Cliquet. I thought his stuff was ok. I think it was a little heavy on the inks, but . . I can definitely see a Mark Texiera influence. So basically I'm saying that this issue has me optimistic to the future of this series. Hopefully this book will live up to it's potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment