Tuesday, April 07, 2009

the Flash Rebirth #1 - DC

What a fantastic issue. I couldn't wait to read this one. But what's not to look forward to? We got Barry Allen back from the dead . . well, not from the dead . . he was actually trapped within the speed-force all of this time. Technically, he never really died. Also . . Bart's back. And he's a kid again. But for some reason he's not to thrilled about Barry's return. "He's back. So what did he sacrifice exactly? Look, this just . . it feels wrong. It's not fair. Whys Barry the only one that escaped the Speed Force?" Then, on top of all of that . . this series is written by Geoff Johns and beautifully illustrated by Ethan Van Sciver. I mean seriously . . what's not to like about this book. It's a piece of history in the making. My only question is, who was the psycho in the beginning wielding the Flash-sword? He kills a couple of cops and then recreates the accident that turned Barry into the Flash in the first place. But, therein lies the mystery. We get a glimpse at most of the Rogues this issue. Each one of them is dealing with the Flash's return in their own way. And some, such as the new Trickster, never really knew him in the first place. Everybody else is also affected by this piece of news in a different way. The Justice League is celebrating. The Justice Society is reminiscing about how Barry pretty much single handedly saved the group. And even the Titans are excited that one of their original mentors has returned, and one of their team-mates with Kid Flash. The only one who doesn't really seemed overly excited about all of this is Barry himself. He's sulking over why he was spared and what he's going to do with the time, and the second chance he's been given. "I'm back at the starting line. I just don't know why. Coming back wasn't divine intervention, Hal. It was an accident. Like the lightning bolt that hit me. I can feel it. The Speed Force wants to draw me back in. I wasn't supposed to return. I've got to run. I might be back, but time hasn't stopped. The seconds are still ticking by. No matter what, one day, time will run out on me again. It'll run out on all of us. Every second does matter. As much as I want to stop, I can't. Tell everyone I'm sorry, but I'm not going to make it to the parties and parades. I can't be late. I can't be late for whatever the rest of the world needs me for." Actually the whole conversation, and interaction between Hal and Barry was handled perfectly. As was Tim and Bart's, and Wally and Roy's. But then again, that's what Geoff is best at . . character development and interaction. The issue ends with Barry discovering that somehow his connection with the Speed Force is having a negative affect on everyone else connected to it. Savitar uses Barry to escape the Speed Force himself. Barry tries to catch up to him to talk to him, but when he touches his shoulder . . he shrivels up like a prune and fades away into dust. Before he goes though, he says "You . . you were the beginning Allen . . and you're the end." As the Speed Force burns around Barry, we see the rest of the Flash-family writhing in agony and spasms as it seems to be having a negative affect on all of them at the same time. And we have to ask, how is all of this connected to the Flash corpse that's found in the Iowa corn field? 2 kids come across it, but all that's left is some bones, dust and the fragments of a black Flash costume. This was an incredible issue . . both story and art. If you didn't get it, you need to as fast as you can. Before it sells out. Like I said, this is history in the making. You'll be holding an instant classic in your hands. And forget about the $3.99 price tag. It's worth it. As are the 30 pages of Ethan's beautiful art. Get it while you can . . you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment