Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Madame Xanadu #10 - Vertigo


This issue brings Nimue up to date on her story, and into the current DC Universe . . . or at least the beginning of the Age of Heroes. It also resolves her story, sort of, with the Phantom Stranger. She's been ready to condemn the Stranger for his inability, or unwillingness, to help in a couple of situations that she's seen him in. She sees his actions as an insensitive response to events that caused misery, heartache and loss of life. He seemed to know what was unfolding, but refused to do anything to alleviate the negative aspects. But then . . then Nimue witness' the birth of the Age of Heroes. Or, more specifically, the death of Jim Corrigan and the birth of the Spectre. I think with this event she realizes that even though she could've stopped a person or 2 from suffering that the overall event was more important than individual responses. Plus, I think she feels a little guilty. "What have I done? Out of spite. Through caprice. By connivance. I . . have unleashed the Spirit of Vengeance on an unsuspecting world!" She's torn. She thought she was doing the right thing, but . . was she acting simply out of her feelings for the Stranger? In the months ahead she contemplates her actions and comes up with a decision . . . "It is not enough to simply gaze into eternity for the satisfaction of my own desires and curiosity. To expiate my past misdeeds, I must offer my assistance to any who have need and all who ask. Finally, this is the path that destiny has chosen for me. The future . . has only just begun." And that's when she hangs up her sign . . 'Madame Xanadu - enter freely and be unafraid'. I thought these first 10 issues were a fantastic 'origin' of one of DC's most enigmatic mystical characters. I mean, she's been in and out of several 'magic' stories over the course of the DC history, but she's only ever really had 1 issue to herself. And that was way back in the 70's. And who better to write this tale than Matt Wagner? He really did a terrific job with this story. Plus we got introduced to the new talent of Amy Reeder Hadley. She also did a fantastic job. But . . that's not the end of the story. There's still more to tell, and next month Matt is joined by Michael Wm. Kaluta on a new 6 part story. I can't wait. So far I'm thoroughly impressed with this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment