Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Batman: Gotham after Midnight #12 - DC


I was just saying how I was missing my monthly influx of Bat-titles . . and then this issue comes out. I was really looking forward to this series. I mean why not? Steve Niles is doing the story and Kelley Jones does the art. What's not to love? Well, with all that anticipation, I have to say that I was thoroughly disappointed with the way that this series wrapped up. Basically, it could've ended last issue. When Midnight was in the Wind-mill last issue, and it went up in flames . . everyone, except Batman, assumed that he/she was dead. Only Batman thinks that it was all some kind of ruse. During the fire he believes that he sees a glimpse of April's face. Basically this entire issue was spent with Batman confirming his suspicions and revealing that Midnight is indeed April. It all has to do with her father, a corrupt cop in Gotham's past history of governmental corruption. Apparently everyone that's been killed was somehow connected to April's father, John Clarkson. But, honestly, the whole thing left me thinking . . 'Who cares?' I mean it's not like we didn't see it coming. We all had our suspicions. It wasn't really a huge leap in logic. However, this entire issue is spent explaining it to us and how everything was connected. Boring! Then to top it off, Alfred goes on a 3 page rant scolding his 'boss' and consoling him at the same time about the loss of his perceived love. It was all rather long winded and I think unnecessary. Midnight faked her death. End of story. She's still out there. Who cares? And now Batman finds himself with a new 'rogue' in his gallery. I still feel this whole thing could've been done in a 4 issue mini-series. Don't get me wrong, Steve is a talented writer. I was just disappointed in the way this whole thing rolled out. Kelley's artwork was perfect, as always. However, this issue . . the panels were completely overrun with dialogue. It went on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your review. I also would like to add the striking similiarities between this series and the Hush one. The entire gallery of villians all are being manipulated to try to kill and/or mess with Batman...only to predictably fail.
    Let's not forget the other blatant "it's been done" factor. Batman falls in love with a woman who's alter-ego is secretly seeking vengeance...can anyone remember Andrea Beaumont from the Mask of the Phantasm movie?

    ReplyDelete