Friday, April 17, 2009

Solomon Grundy #2 - DC


This issue . . actually this series, has me a bit confused. I'm not really sure what Scott Kolins is trying to accomplish here. We know that the original Solomon Grundy monster comes from a resident of Gotham in 1875, Cyrus Gold. Somehow, he's been cursed to live this life over and over again . . a week at a time. Each week he's born on Monday and dies on Sunday. His personality, intelligence and etc. may change, but . . he's essentially the same monster. Last issue he came across Etrigan. This issue he finds and fights Bizarro. Before they enjoy breakfast together. Yeah I know. It's strange. And next issue . . it appears that he's fallen into the lap of Poison Ivy. Anyways, Alan Scott, for some reason is trying to break this cycle. He's got it in his head that if he can get Cyrus to forgive his original killer, then . . maybe he can finally rest in peace. But most of this issue was spent finishing the fight with Etrigan, and then . . rampaging across Gotham with Bizarro. Also, we keep having flashbacks to when Cyrus was originally killed. I guess we're just learning his origins. It's an interesting series. I'll give it that. However, like I said, I'm not sure what we're trying to accomplish here. Although I'm not sure where Scott is going with the story, his artwork is perfect for this series. It really conveys the nature and feeling of this character. He's a monster after all. His whole world consists of chaos and madness. And we've got 5 more issues of it to try to figure everything out.

No comments:

Post a Comment