Monday, April 13, 2009

Jonah Hex #42 - DC


I don't always like Jordi Bernet's art. The art itself is ok. It's just not my style. It doesn't really do anything for me. And sometimes I think Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti's stories here are a little . . simple. But, that being said . . I like this book. I like this character. And I like this genre. Actually . . I guess it would be more appropriate to say that I like this genre because it's a distraction from the regular super-hero fare that I read in about 95% of my books. It's a nice change of pace. This issue we learn a little bit about Jonah when he was a kid. We learn that he had a dad a little more than just a mean son of a bitch. This guy was an ornery cuss. And he made Jonah's life hell as a child, under the guise of trying to toughen him up. Well, apparently it worked, and apparently the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. Because now . . Jonah and ornery cuss. Just like his pa. When Jonah was a child some boys in town beat him up. For which Jonah's father beat them up. Now her it is some 30 odd years later, and the 'boys' set up a ruse to draw the great bounty-hunter Jonah Hex back in to town. This time they aim to take him down. With Jonah though . . that's easier said than done. They chain him up with irons, and then expect him to draw on them. He does . . and he still takes them out. And than, he beats them to a pulp with the irons. As he's walking out of town, and old cuss with a bottle of whiskey sums it up best . . "That boy is a bean son of a bitch." Like I said, it's a nice distraction from what I normally read.

3 comments:

  1. I found your site by accident and noticed you read a lot of the same books that I do (actually you read a lot more!). This is one of my favorite books. I love how he dropped to his knees and drew at the same time, that blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, I like this book. It's different. I just hope it has enough of a following to stick around. They've been knocking them off like flies lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review. I read it too, the fisrt one and i like it. Great art, interesting story about his childhood. Should i start to read more ? I don't know. But as you said, this is different (and i love western stories) and i think the 6 part arc comming in june should be a good reading.. So why not... See you soon.

    ReplyDelete