Sunday, October 26, 2008

X-Men: Legacy #216 - Marvel


Last issue Scott was surprised by the contact of Charles. Charles has been searching though his past to try to find himself . . after his mind was disrupted by Exodus. Recently he's come through an enlightening experience with Sinister. It's brought back a lot of his memories, but also left him with even more questions. Also, it made him think about Scott and the situation he's thrust upon his shoulders. So he tried to 'suggest' a meeting. But Scott is with Emma now . . whom some could argue is almost Charles' equal. So what Charles thought was a meeting that he was going to control, ended up being controlled by Scott and Emma. Which really just shows the strength and resolve of their relationship. At the end of last issue we thought they were attacking him, but actually . . Emma's trying to force him to relive some of his previous memories because they want to make sure that Sinister's influence is no longer attached to him. I think that's a legitimate concern. Actually, I applaud their initiative. In the end they find him to be Sinister free, and they return a memory to him that he had lost of his last contact with Moira when she died. Oh, and Charles got the chance to tell Scott that he was proud of him, and that he thought the school was in good hands. I think Mike Carey is doing an excellent job with this book. I really have liked his stories and the way that he's handled all of the various characters. Phil Briones did the pencils this issue. I assume that he's rather new. He shows a lot of promise, actually, but the part that bothered me was that his pages just weren't consistent. I can see the influence of several artists in his work, but unfortunately that seemed to change from page to page. Most of his work actually looked pretty good. It just wasn't consistent. But . . time and practice will solve that. Plus, like I said, he definitely has potential. Next issue 'Original Sin' . . the prologue for which I just reviewed in Wolverine Origins . . comes full-blown to this book. Which makes sense because Charles is looking into his past . . and Wolverine still has some questions about his . . even more so, probably, with his recently acquired 'insight'.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure liked this comic a lot more then I did! I was kind of offended that Emma Frost had the audacity to act as if she had the right to be judgemental of the decisions Prof. X had made in his past.

    This is the same Emma Frost who used to torture and kill anyone who stood in her way! I don't really know why Mike Carey feels the need to drag Prof. X through the mud, but out of EVERY telepath in the Marvel U to decide to judge Prof. X, I sure don't think it should have been Emma...

    I get that Charles had made some questionable decisions in the past, but the acusations from Emma Frost, of all people, that Prof. X played God just smacked of hypocrisy! Anything the Professor did pales in comparison to the criminal acts Emma herself has committed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, but . . I also think there's 2 other factors here. First I think that there's going to be a lot of Charles' past actions brought to light through this story-line. I think without his memory of why, or the motivation behind the decisions, they're going to come across as . . intrusive. Plus, as you wrote in your blog about Madelyn Pryor, I think there's more to Scott than meets the eye. I definitely think he has a mean streak in him . . bordering on vengeful. Plus, he's had the influence of Emma for how many years now? I'm not saying that Emma was right for what she did to Charles, but . . it was definitely within her character. Plus, maybe she was just trying to protect the man she loves. Can she be that woman? I doubt it, but . . who knows? The main thing I liked about the book was the revelations that it brought out about Charles' past. And really that's what this whole story-line seems to be about. But I agree with your take on Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your comment about how Charles doesn't understand the reasons behind the decisions he made, was the part I was really missing out on. I've read hundreds of X-titles over the years, and could place every scene the Prof. was shown. However, as you pointed out, he had no clue as to why he acted in the way he did, while I knew what his motivation/reason was for every action. Since he wasn't able to defend his decisions, because he had little to no recollection concerning the events he was shown, I can see why he came across looking poorly.

    I guess I was just griping because the Prof. has always been a character I've respected over the years and I hated to see him basically tortured by Emma, who I truly despise!

    ReplyDelete