Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Manhunter #35 - DC


This is a case of . . I like the character more than I like the book. But aren't they one and the same? Not necessarily. I got into this character during the first 30 issues of this book. You know . . before they had the hiatus. Then, in-between, she appeared in several Birds of Prey story-lines. Some she participated a lot . . and some she was just a supporting character. But, that's the nature of the Birds of Prey book. But of the last 3 or 4 incarnations of this character . . I think that Kate is the most interesting. Plus I like the idea that she wears a Darkstar suit. I always liked the Darkstars. Anyways, when the book came back, with issue #31, I was excited and really wanted to get in to it. However, as is the case with a lot of books . . especially of late . . the creative team changed. Marc Andreyko became the writer. His stories are . . ok. They're focusing not just on Kate but on her supporting cast. Which is good. But the story that Kate's involved in, with this Vesetech company in Mexico, is so involved that it doesn't leave a lot of room for other story-lines. Yes they're still there, but they're progressing very slowly. We also got a new artist, Michael Gaydos. Obviously the guy has talent. The flow of his panels is actually pretty good. However, I just don't know if he's the right artist for this book. But, then again, I may have just been spoiled by Javier Pina's art. I'm not discounting Michael's talent, but there's a world of difference between the two styles. Anyways, it may all be moot because it looks like the series is going to end again. It appears that issue #38 will be the final issue this time. But I have a feeling that these 8 issues were put together to set up Kate . . also, maybe Ramsey . . for something else. Something that she'll become involved with after this ends. I don't know what, but . . this is to good of a character to leave gathering dust on the shelf. This particular story-arc wraps up next issue, and then they'll be one more in issues #37 & #38. But, it doesn't look as if there's going to be a clean ending. I think this story is going to have to travel to another venue. However, only time will tell what that's going to be. In the meantime . . enjoy what we have left.

2 comments:

  1. Marc Andreyko was always the writer on this book ever since issue #1. I do agree that the book has not been as enjoyable as it did before the break, but I think it would have gotten better if allowed to continue as I have a lot of faith in Andreyko's ability. Oh well, nothing lasts forever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I didn't realize that. I first started picking up the book with issue #25. I have some of the earlier issues, but not all of them. For some reason the book just feels different for me now than it did before the break. I like this character, and I want the book to do well. But I think the character will end up someplace else. It may be Birds of Prey . . or it could be something different.

    ReplyDelete