Sunday, October 26, 2008

Vixen: Return of the Lion #1 - DC


This was an interesting book, although I'm not sure who either of these creators are. G Willow Wilson did the story, and Cafu does the art. I liked the story. Vixen has just received new information as to her mother's killer, and that's taking her back home to Zambesi. The artwork of Cafu is interesting. It's not my normal cup of tea, however . . it's promising, so I think I may become used to it. However, I do have a question. When Mari gets back home she finds that her village is being tormented by the man who killed her mother and his ruthless gangs of thugs. When they come riding through the village Mari decides to stand up for her people, and not let these thugs get away with their antics. As she's fighting them, she summons up various creature's strengths to fight the men. But I thought her powers were messed up. I thought she had been tapping in to meta-powers recently, and not so much of the animal kingdom. So, if her powers are fixed, or she's become re-connected with her Totem . . when did all of this happen? In the last issue of the Justice League I read she was only just telling them about how her powers had changed and what she had been doing to remain a valuable part of the team. So when did the rest of it get fixed? There's nothing to suggest that this is a story from the past, so I have to assume that we're in normal time here. Anyways, this is only the first issue of this mini, so maybe it'll be explained as we go along? I hope so. The mini shows a lot of potential so I'd hate to see it diminished by something as simple as a continuity screw-up. I imagine they'll cover her origin, since she's back home, so hopefully they'll talk about her control of the morphogenic field. I think that's what Animal Man called it. I think Mari is a character that hasn't gotten the attention that she deserves. Hopefully this series will fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment