Thursday, October 09, 2008

Billy Batson and the Magic of SHAZAM! #2 - DC


I like this book. I like the style that Mike Kunkel uses both in his art and his story. Also I'm more than thrilled to see this title in the Johnny DC line of books. Much in the way of the Legion, I'm sure there's a vast majority of the younger readers that have no clue as to who this character is. The decision to keep Mary in her younger version after she transforms, I think, was perfect. These are actually 2 kids after all. I think it's nice to see one of them still acting like it after they get their powers. The scene where Mary decides to experiment with her lightning bolt, and uses Billy as the target, was hilarious. She's just so impulsive and impetuous. It gives the book a nice feel. I do however have one complaint. Actually, it's not even a complaint, just an observation. I know that Mike's trying to convey the history of these characters and their powers in the first couple of issues, but . . to me . . it just seems like there's an awful lot of story here for the audience that it's aimed at. Don't get me wrong, the adolescent part of the story, the humorous altercations . . are brilliant. And I really think the kids will appreciate the antics and humor. But during the descriptive part of the story . . I just think there's an awful lot of information for an 8 to 12 year old audience to process. As far as I'm concerned, I thought it was a great issue. But, from a different perspective . . it may be a bit much. That's all I'm sayin' . . really. I am thrilled though to have a regular monthly SHAZAM! title. It's been long overdue. Now maybe we could get one going under the Vertigo imprint . . . so we could expand on the character and his magics a bit? A guy can hope . . right?

No comments:

Post a Comment