Sunday, October 12, 2008

the Mighty Avengers #18 - Marvel


This issue is entirely devoted to Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors. With the Skrull invasion looming, Nick didn't know who he could trust. So, he recruited unknowns . . " . . young recruits of discernible power with legacy ties to the Marvel Universe." They include Hellfire, Stonewall, Phobos, Quake, Yo Yo and the Druid. Once assembled he begins putting them through hell to train them. He even gives them a mission . . "Maria Hill is a Skrull . . find her and bring her to me." The kids are more than a little questionable about this order, but . . in the end, they do what they're told. And in the process we get flash-backs of everything that Nick has put the adolescents through. It isn't pretty. But . . it is effective. And, despite the odds . . they actually complete the assignment. Unfortunately she's a LMD. But this was a just a training exercise anyways, so . . . the kids are pissed. But as Nick so eloquently puts it, "I'm training you. (And I'm training her too, by the way.) Maria Hill, she needs smartening up. And she needs it fast. Everything I say to you is the God's truth. You're a soldier!! If I tell you red is green, RED is GREEN. That's the game we're playing here . . ." But before they can argue about it any more . . all the computer screens are flashing . . Attack of New York . . Invasion! . . Armageddon!! I think any problems they may have had before have all become mute. Of course this book is written by Brian Bendis. He is the leader of the Avengers corner of the Marvel Universe right now, so . . . he's the master-mind behind this whole Skrull invasion thing. The art in this issue is done by Stefano Caselli. I think it looks pretty good. He's the artist from the Avengers: Initiative book. His style has really grown on me. I'm glad this book is back on track. I hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment