Sunday, October 12, 2008

X-Factor #35 - Marvel


I'm still not thrilled with Larry Stroman's art here, but . . . I am getting used to it. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a talented artist. It's just that he has a very specific style. I didn't know how that was going to fit with this book. At first I didn't like it all that much, but . . it's growing on me. Of course I do enjoy these characters, so . . once again the story is more important to me than the art. Plus I thought it was great to see Longshot back in the mix again. By that . . I mean the real Longshot . . not the Skrull impostor that the team fought last issue. I'd explain to you how they know that he's not a Skrull, but . . it's confusing and convoluted and they went over it like 3 times in this book so I don't want to hear it again. As it turns out Darwin's father was actually looking for him because somebody came to him and offered him a half-mill if he delivered Darwin to them. All they know for sure is that it has something to do with the Karma project. And when he did deliver him . . they shot him in the head. We've been through numerous artists on this series . . numerous . . but, Peter David has been the steady anchor through it all. I've given Peter some grief about some of his stories in the past, but he does a great job with team books. He always has. He does a great job spreading the story around to the different characters, and I enjoy the humor that he injects into . . well, everything. Some people may feel that it's a bit to much, but to me . . I think it's perfect. Of course I'm a sarcastic, optimistic type of guy who often jokes even when it's inappropriate . . or I'm getting on my wife's nerves. It's my way of trying to keep everything loose. Even if I'm the only one that is loose. Anyways, the point is . . I think Peter is doing a great job with this series. And he's even keeping it interesting with the gang living in Detroit. Detroit? Really? Out of all the US cities out there . . they picked Detroit? Well . . we'll see where it goes from here. But I'm sure that Peter will keep it entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more about how enjoyable the humor Peter David puts into his comics is. I think a lot of times, many writer's are way too serious, everything is death and misery, but Peter can always seem to find the perfect balance between serious and funny. His work on the old Captain Marvel series from the early 2000's are great examples of his balance between hilarious and serious. The interactions between Rick Jones and Genis in those issues is classic.

    ReplyDelete